Student & Graduate Placements
St Andrews, Fife
June 10 2029
Golf Environment Certification Intern
Open to current students and graduates attending UK universitiies and appropriate College courses. See application procedure.
Fairmont Hotels and Resorts is part of the Accor Hotel group with thousands of properties worldwide. Fairmont St Andrews is a 5star resort with a 219 bedroom hotel, conference center and two championship golf courses. The hotel employs over 250 staff with the golf courses and hotel grounds having 18 of that number. Please see the link below for more detailed information:
Fairmont Hotel, St Andrews recently won the Greenest Business Award 2019 awarded by Fife Chamber of Commerce.
So, we are in the process of seeking accreditation for our current efforts. Our aim is to work more sustainably regarding our natural environment, efficient use of resources and also enhance our work with our community to highlight environmental positive activity.
We have a golden opportunity for an environmentally conscious intern to help us with our environmental concerns.
The selected candidate will be tasked with fulfilling the necessary work for the two golf courses, golf operation and clubhouse to gain GEO certification and will be key in collating appropriate information and advising on this aspect.
Tasks will include capturing and collating key data in accordance with guidelines from GEO and communicating with relevant personnel in those departments effected by the scheme.
The candidate will not be expected to enforce their findings but their advice and best practice will be welcome and form part of the certificate process, present and future. Surveys may need to be carried out which the candidate will do during their 8 weeks.
Help will be available from the supervisor contact as well as the Fairmont Environmental Co-coordinator.
We require a graduate intern that is knowledgeable about the environment with a background in environmental sustainability, sustainable development, ecological sustainability, environmental conservation and who also understands the impact that golf course operation can have on habitats, waste, their carbon footprint, water use and effects on soil.
We are working with the Golf Environment Organisation (link below), which is a not-for-profit business operating to give accreditation to golf courses world wide to help “foster nature, conserve resource’s and supporting communities” to gain accreditation as an environmentally conscious golf course. Seeking this accreditation will help the golf courses at Fairmont Hotel, St Andrews to move forward operationally and strategically. We need a graduate intern to help us meet the necessary requirements.
During your 8 week placement you will also need to use your
· Passion for the environment and an enquiring approach
· Well developed organisation skills to meet the agreed deliverables during the 8 weeks
· Excellent communication skills; verbal, written and also via email where needed
· Very good IT skills to use Microsoft packages where needed
· Can-do attitude to get the job done
· Flexibility and approachability
· Possibly own transport (although the 95 bus will reach the Fairmont Hotel)
- Open to current students attending UK universities and also to UK university graduates within the last 3 years. This also applies to College students and graduates who have attended appropriate courses with relevant content.
- Apply via the Bright Green Business web link provided, please register and then click on the APPLY button. You will need to register in order to upload your CV as your application
- CV's will be sifted through to create a shortlist of applicants to progress to the next stage of the selection procedure.
- Those shortlisted will be issued with further shortlisting questions. Responses to these should be returned by the notified date.
- Those selected from the second sifting will then have their CV and shortlist question responses sent to the recruiting organisation to decide on interview candidates.
Bright Green Business will then communicate the outcome to these candidates.
We do endeavour to let all applicants know of the out come once the whole process has been finalised.